A Friendly Discussion Between Friends

Hi Ted.


Hi Al.

There is this new law in Congress right now that I really like.

Oh yeah!  What is it?

It is about healthcare.  It will make healthcare cheaper.

Does is repeal a previous law?

No.  It will cost us a little more in the short term, but it will actually help lower costs in the long run.  It will also invest money in finding new technologies that will help with the quality of care we receive.

Haven’t we heard that promise before?

Yeah, but there are a lot of healthcare professionals who believe this will help.

I don’t like it.

Well, maybe I need to explain it to you better and get you some facts and figures.

Well, that is all fine, but what if I don’t like it?

Well, maybe you won’t like it.  I don’t know.  But you should look at the proposal.

But what if I don’t like it?

Then you won’t like it.

If I disagree and don’t go along with this proposal, will you advocate that violence be used against me?

What do you mean?  I am not violent.

But if I disagree with you on this, will someone point a gun to my head?

Hey man, I’m just having a friendly discussion with you here.  I am not talking about using guns or any other kind of violence.  You can disagree with me if you want.

But you said that this new legislation will cost money in the short run.  Who is going to pay for it?

Well, everybody is going to pay, through some kind of taxes or user fees.

But what if I don’t want to pay?

Well, we live in a society where you have to pay your taxes.  Come on, man.

But what happens if I don’t want to pay for it?

Well, you will probably get hit with some extra tax penalties, so you should probably go ahead and pay it.

What if I don’t pay the tax penalties?

Well, I suppose they’ll eventually take you to court and make you pay them.

What if I don’t show up for court, or what if I do go and refuse to pay?

You probably don’t want to do that.  You could get in big trouble.  They might send you to jail.  You better pay your taxes.

What if I don’t go to jail?

Well, I don’t think you will have a choice.  If you refuse, the police will come to your house and arrest you, I’m guessing.

Will they pull out a gun and point it at me?

Well, probably.

If I don’t comply, will they shoot me?

Well, you can’t disobey the police.

So, in other words, if I don’t pay for this new legislation that you like, then someone will eventually point a gun at me and shoot me if I don’t obey.

Well, I guess if you want to put it like that.

So other than just verbally disagreeing with you, I am not really allowed to disagree with this new proposal that you like without having violence inflicted upon me.

Well, you can disagree, but you will still have to go along with it.

That’s what I thought.

Anyway, I have to go now.  I am meeting some friends for lunch.  We are meeting near a bunch of restaurants and then we have to decide on a place to eat.

Well, if you don’t agree with the others on where to have lunch, at least you won’t be shot if you disagree and decide not to participate.